Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas Conundrum

 
I am feeling a little frustrated with my Christmas shopping list this year.  I'd call it a Christmas conundrum.  I have no good ideas of what to get anyone!  The smallish ideas I do have don't excite me in the slightest.  I feel like Austin Powers when he lost his mojo.  I have lost my Christmas mojo.
 
Christmas shopping for me is generally a breeze, and I have it down to such a science (and dislike shopping that much) that I can usually just go into a store head directly to what I want to buy, buy it and get out of there.  I mean, think about it.  I know about all the stores out there, I can pretty much think of everything that Target sells.  Going to the store to look around is such an unnecessary task for me usually.  This year I may have to actually spend a good deal of time in a mall or something because I feel so uninspired.
 
I play to win at Christmas.  I don't know why I am so competitive about some things and apathetic with others, but Christmas is one of the things I want to win.  When I say 'win Christmas'  I by no means mean outspending everyone 5:1, but I want the gift I give to you to be your favorite gift that you received that year.  It is just a weird way of showing how much I love you I guess, lol?
 
So my normal formula of finding the perfect gift includes consideration of the following:
Have you mentioned wanting something in the last year? (it is good to pay attention!)
Is there something you've been needing that I have noticed? (like your purse is all beat up looking, for example)
Do you enjoy any hobbies?
Where are your favorite stores to shop?
 
Then I brainstorm ideas that fit within the price range I am trying to stay in.
 
The problem I am having is that I have exhausted many of my top notch ideas in prior years.  I can give the same gift twice, that is so uncreative! 
 
My Mom never gives us much of an idea of what she wants, I have already given my brother every Houston Texans football themed thing under the sun, Aaron buys everything he wants himself the instant he wants it.  I am at a loss here.  Nothing I can think of gives me the feeling that I will win Christmas.  Maybe I can give gifts in hopes of the person picking up a new hobby so that gift giving in the future will have more options.  Like getting my brother a violin, or a pottery wheel? 
 
I don't know what to do!  What do you do when you don't know what to give someone??
 
 
 

3 comments:

Megan said...

I feel like this every year. My Husband is the same way. He buys whatever he wants when he wants it. Come this time of year I tell him he can't buy anything until after Christmas. I think Gift Cards are always a great way to go now. That way they can get exactly what they want.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I agree with Megan - I rnu into this every year! I've thought about "making" gifts for everyone one of these years. At least it would be something different and unique!

The Cantrell's said...

I always spring for the gift card. I know that I love getting gift cards, so other people will to!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...