Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Leftover Turkey Pot Pie

Did your family make 2 turkeys for 7 people, leaving leftovers for days??  (yes.)

Does the thought of having to eat one more turkey sandwich make you want to hurl yourself off a bridge? (sometimes.)

Solution!

I made a super tasty turkey pot pie that I thought I would share with you all.  Inspired by this recipe.  And I took a load of pictures because if you are like me, you need very specific instructions or you will find the most random weird way to mess it up.  It's like a curse I have with cooking...?

You will need:
Left over turkey + whatever will taste okay in a pot pie
Pie Crust (I use pre-made)
Onion
Celery
Frozen Mixed Veggies
Stick of Butter
Milk/Cream
Flour
Chicken Stock
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp Celery Seed
1 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Everything not shown.

1. chop up your onion in smallish pieces, and chop 2 stalks of celery. 
I just chopped the celery as is - c shaped

2. Boil that chopped celery and your frozen vegetables in some water until the celery is soft
about 10 minutes.  You can use any pot pie veggies you want.

3. Melt the whole stick of butter in another pan

4. put all the onions in the butter pan and cook until onions are soft using medium heat

5. While you are waiting for the veggies to cook, put the crust into the pie dish
6.  This step might be a bit tricky, but once the onions are all mushy, you add about half a cup of flour to the butter, whisking as you add it.  You are making roux, basically.  Once you are all mixed it should be the consistency of glue (not sticky though)

7.  Next you are going to add to your roux, chicken stock and milk or creme.  I used approx 1.5 cups of stock and half a cup of milk.  You have to use your judgement and not make it too watery.  I got it to the consistency of yogurt.

8. Your vegetables should be done by now.  Drain 'em!  
Try not to get a bunch of them in your sink like I did.

9. Add them to your pan, mix in seasonings, add salt and pepper if it needs them
*If you don't have celery seed on hand, I don't think it is totally necessary, leave it out!

10.  Insert leftovers.  I used turkey that I chopped into smaller pieces and green bean casserole
Mix in and the inside of your pot pie is done!

11.  Fill that pie.  Mine was nearly overflowing, and I still had a bit of extra filling

12.  Add the lid, make sure to poke some holes.  I used a mini snowman cookie cutter.  Festive!
For a pretty crust, brush the top with an egg white
Bake for about 35-40 mins at 425 degrees, or until it looks like this:


13.  enjoy!


It seems like a lot of steps, but it really wasn't too bad.  Plus it tasted really great, so it is worth it!

Are there any other clever recipes for turkey leftovers that you love?







4 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This looks amazing! I must make some!

Megan said...

Yum! I have been wanting to do this as well. I did last year and it was delicious. The only thing that I do differently is that I put left over stuffing in it and I use the left over gravy in it as well.

Rachel said...

haha--we had one turkey for probably 20 people! Of course, we also had a ham and tons of other food as well--I think the turkey got eaten up pretty fast, though!

Chelsea said...

I love pot pies- this looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...