Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

Today was heavy.

It is hard to find just the right words on this solemn day.  My heart just hurts, and I can't shake it.

Days like today make it undoubtedly clear to me that we live in a fallen world.  I generally like to keep things light over here, but I think writing my thoughts will help me feel a little bit lighter.

I feel so sad for those who lost their lives today.  The little kids who barely got an opportunity to experience life, the brave teachers, and even the shooter.  I know there was certainly something evil within him, but I am certain that this couldn't be carried out by anyone who wasn't deeply troubled and mentally ill.  Something or a lot of somethings molded his rational to make this action the solution to something.

My heart breaks for those who knew and loved the ones who are no longer here.  I think of present under the tree meant for them, little ones who aren't getting tucked into bed tonight.  Those parents are falling apart right now, I am sure.  Plus how many children and teachers are going to be a little afraid every time they go to school for the rest of their lives.  It just isn't fair.  My beliefs are that Jesus has saved us from death, so dying, while so scary, I faithfully believe will be the best thing that can happen to us.  It is unfortunate that they left the earth before they were little old people, but this world is horrible.  Even with everything beautiful and wonderful in it, it doesn't hold a candle to what is in store for us.

Is this a gun control issue?  Yes and no.  The statement 'the time to talk about gun control was yesterday' resonates with me, but that is just because I hate guns.  I think they are dangerous, unnecessary, and designed to inflict harm.  My husband and my brother and everyone in Texas it seems love guns, and enjoy shooting them and being perfectly responsible gun owners exercising their 2nd amendment rights.  I think gun control is only useful in keeping guns away from thugs knocking off the 7-11.  Which absolutely has value, don't get me wrong.  These cases overwhelmingly involve people who have every legal right to purchase a gun, and a perfectly clean record.  You'd have to make guns illegal, or somehow give a psych evaluation to everyone trying to purchase a gun.  It is just impractical and will never be perfect.  These tragic occurrences will continue to happen, unfortunately.  I think the problem is just this day and age.

I think the best and only way to 'prevent' (as best we can) things like this from occurring is to slow down.  Make meaningful connections with people.  Care about those around us.  Most people who carry out these violent attacks are troubled and isolated.  This kid was somebody's son, and brother, and even friend or at least colleague?  Was anyone is his life reaching out to him, and being a friend or a mentor?  Or were they too involved in their work, or blogs, or facebook to bother?  We (as Christians) are called to be the light of the world, and I think that translates into shining that light into others.  Light their darkened path.  Be there.  Then maybe those troubled will have a reason to want to live and see the value of life in general.

In closing I hope all those affected can find peace and forgiveness.



Yeah, today was heavy.





2 comments:

vickilicious said...

Oh! MY! I heard that in the news here in Greece! My heart grieves for the victim's families and friends. I'm also outraged by this "right to bear arms" in the US constitution. Why is it necessary to bear arms? Let's make the police obsolete then! Haven't there been enough incidents of this sort to make them rethink about it!?!? The other thing is with the "hiding" behind the excuse of 'having psychological problems' I don't mean any disrespect or to underestimate the problem( it sure exists) but we can't be using it as a justification/remission/absolution of every evil act one does. What about the mother who knows her son has psychological problems, why doesn't she get rid of those damn guns!
OH! I'm sorry about this rant but I got so upset from this story!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

SO well-said Natalie. This is such a tragic thing. There's no way to make any sense of this. I have been racking my brain but there's no way. Thank you for this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...