Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Why you will never meet me at Blissdom...

The past two days I have seen that a million people are going to the Blissdom Conference.  Awesome for them!  I am super happy when other people are happy.  It is just contagious to me.  For instance, if you are excited about your new puppy, my heart beams thinking of you giving that little fella a snuggle.  But I know pretty well what social situations I find enjoyable and the educational forums I find most helpful and a blogger conference ain't it. 

As an educational experience:
I am sure you leave a blogger conference with more knowledge than you come in with.  Otherwise the jig would be up real quick.  But I think about growing my blog constantly, so I doubt I would hear anything groundbreaking that probrogger.com hasn't covered in some detail or any of the infographics I have pinned to my 'blogstuff' pinterest board. 
I am pretty resourceful on the internet, so I can go to the Blissdom website, see the topics they are covering and google away any information I might want.  That is a better education for my personal brain.  If I leave with 100 new ideas I am in the same place I am right now, sitting here with 100 ideas and just lacking the time and energy to tackle more than a couple at a time. 

Plus, I don't want to listen to people talk about blogging for days on end.  I love blogging as much as the next guy, but I can only intentionally pay attention to a subject for so long...

So as far as going to a conference to learn stuff, the medium is all wrong for me, and I don't think I will get a whole lot out of it for the money.

As a social experience:
Hell to the no.  First of all, I have no interest in being around that many people for 4 days in a row. 
And with all the self-inflicted pressures of needing to look really cute all the days?  Why?  Because you are going to possibly wind up all over instagram,twitter and blog posts all next week?  If your wardrobe is anything like mine I would have to add in the cost of 4 new outfits so I don't look like some hobo off the street.  (okay, I'm not that bad).  I know I would be too self conscious to even be able to relax, unless I were drinking heavily though, and that is definitely not cute.  I know that people judge you on how you look all the time, but when it is just something that is a known and accepted fact regarding an event...not interested.  

You don't want to meet me.  I promise you I am 1000% cooler online than I am in person, and I wouldn't want to tarnish my image, lol.  I am a total weirdo when I meet new people and it is exponentially worse when the number of people I don't know > people I do know.  I make weird obscure jokes, I laugh at inappropriate times.  I forget everyone's names.  It is my own personal hell.  If I meet you one on one, I am a total delight.  It makes no sense.

I don't really want to meet you.  That sounds harsh, but I don't mean it to be...  I have my top 900 blogs that I try to keep up with and I wouldn't know you from Adam.  I see your picture on your blog, have interacted with you numerous times over email and I probably couldn't pick you out of a lineup of similarly looking people.  People just never look like their pictures to me.  So I would feel super weird being like "Hey I'm Natalie" to Sarah K for instance and not even knowing it was her - who is one of my best blog friends.  Or what if I meet you in line for the bathroom and come to find out later that I really don't care for the stuff you write.  Will I be stuck pretending that I like your blog just because I know you in real life now?  I don't want to walk into that sort of obligation!  Plus I really don't much care for superficially meeting people.  That being said, having 'friends' however superficial your relationship may be, takes time, and I already feel guilty for not logging enough time with my IRL friends.  I don't want to be adding a whole bunch of new people to the mix, I already try to keep tabs with enough bloggers whom I like.  I feel like I am at capacity.  Plus as I said before, I wouldn't leave with too many new friends because I am socially awkward. lol 

Adding to obligations, the financial one is a huge one!  Just your ticket in is $400!?!  I will never be at a point where I take my blog so seriously that I would lay down that kind of dough to learn about blogging and meet bloggers.  I can do that for free.  I could go right to my Texas bloggers facebook group and get 10 people to meet for brunch on Saturday morning.  All for the cost of a plate of eggs, and fits within my length of time I would care to talk about blogging, lol. 
Add to that hotel for three nights, transportation to the city it is in, 4 new outfits.  You are looking at an easy $1000 bucks.  When my blog is bringing in approximately -$20 a month (you read that right, minus $20) this seems like a horrible waste.  Plus I have debt, student loans, and a bucketlist loaded with vacations I have been meaning to take, it doesn't look like I will ever fit blog conferences into the budget. 

So if you are at Blissdom, I wish you all the best times, I hope you get your money's worth and make stellar new memories.  As for me, I will stay here behind the computer screen where I like it :)

The other title I had for this was 'the ramblings of a socially awkward and anxiety prone woman.'

What about you?  Is Blissdom or other blogger conferences in your future? (or are you there now??)  I'd love to hear your take!

11 comments:

Megan said...

I don't think I would ever go to one either. My blog is really more of an outlet for me. And yes I do like growing it and making it better, but only because I feel accomplished when I do something along those lines.

And the cost alone for some of that is a tad ridiculous. Like you, I have other debts that I need to be paying off before shelling out money for that.

And I agree that it is for some people. And honestly, I probably would love it, but I just don't ever see myself going. But I think it is awesome that they do put these things together for people who can and will take advantage of it.

Sara said...

I could never go to a blog conference either. My blog's an outlet, not something I want to try to make myself famous with it. I'd maybe want to go to BlogHer once in my life, but that's about it. But on the other foot, crazy expensive...

Andi said...

I don't think I would go to a big blogger conference, but I do get a little jealous when bloggers who live in bigger cities get together for smaller blogger meet-ups, like less than 20 people. I know of a few other bloggers in my area, but I don't think a meet-up would happen unless I planned it, and that's just not going to happen!

ThistleAshD said...

bahahaha I don't even know about blogging conferences, I consider blogging a hobby and not even anything I want to grow, but I pretty much agree with all your reasons. and I am going to have to look up the Texas blogger facebook page. didn't know about that :)

Megan said...

I love your thoughts. I agree with most of them. My number 1 drawback is money. We just don't have the kind of money to spend on a conference. I also don't think I would do good with it socially. I am also introverted and don't do well at large events like that. I also think "what if they don't like the real me?" It's easy to make yourself appear a certain way online. I also prefer jeans and sweatpants to dressing up. I don't have tons of cute clothes and don't need my wardrobe choices being analyzed. All that being said...I am going to an NC bloggers meet up. It's just dinner with about 20 bloggers from NC and I'm nervous about it and it's not nearly as big as a conference.

Also....the picture on my blog and a lot of the ones I post were a lot of pounds ago. :) So I probably do look different.

Laura @Simply Me, The way I see it said...

I agree with you. I Iove the idea but I can think of 20 other things I want to spend $400 plus hotel rooms on and I live in Dallas so that's not exciting. Besides the weather is awesome right now and I would rather be outside and not stuck in a conference for the next four days!

Charlotte said...

Agree agree agree! I can't imagine the judging that goes on plus paying that much to go! I'm not socially awkward at al but dang this would be super overwhelming and intimidating! I blog for me, period! Thanks for sharing :)

Dara said...

you are so right. I think I would want to go to a blog conference but then I'd get there and feel awkward and self conscious and like I'm back in high school.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Although I do think it would be cool to meet the people I blog with regularly, I don't think a blogger conference per se would interest me.

Sara Yonker said...

LOL. This is hilarious and I completely agree. If other people want to spend their time doing that, good for them. Me? I'd rather spend that money on a weekend trip with my husband or some old friends. I guess people who consider it a "business" can deduct it as a business trip?? And hope the IRS doesn't check the receipts for your new clothes?? :)

Nay said...

This totally made me laugh. I have going to "mini" bloggy conferences, but really for the social interaction...the girls I've met are very sweet and that's the part I like. Going to blogging conferences, if you want to call it that in my situation, hasn't helped the growth of my blog one bit...
but it's been cool:) I get to go out for a day and talk about blogging...yeah...I don't really have a life - lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...