Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Thoughts on Current Events

Not too much going on in my personal life right now, so it is a good time to offer up commentary on current events.  #opinionated

To the victims of the Washing DC Navy Yard mass shooting.  I am so sorry your life was ended short.  I feel like I am getting desensitized to these sort of events, and that is highly highly disturbing to me.  I don't know what we can do, but when will all this craziness end??  Wishing their loved ones peace and comfort during all this... 
via CNN.com
 
 
Once again, the internets is quick to show us how ignorant and racist our fellow humans are: re: Miss America.  For f-'s sake.  Learn some geography, first of all.  Secondly, open your flipping eyes, America is all sorts of colors?!  I just can't with these people.  CAN'T.
 
via Buzzfeed.com
I caught the tail end of the show, and I thought her talent was original and well performed, and she had the best answer to the interview question.  Well deserved.  Though I kind of with beauty pageants would just go away, as the practice of objectifying and comparing women up against each other is really not necessary or progressive whatsoever.
 
 
More prayers going out to Colorado.  If you have some extra funds to help, here is a list of good places to donate.  When will mother nature stop trying to kill us off??
 
 
Lastly, I just heard this gem:  Madmen finale will be spread over two years.  This is frustrating, because Madmen is really the reason I have been holding off on pulling the plug on cable tv service.  I can hulu/Netflix/antenna everything else, but I feel a weird need to be watching Madmen live, with the rest of the world.  Like we are all in communion with the story as it unfolds.  #insane.  I don't know if I want to foot the bill for another 2 years though.  I mean, really. 
 
 
That's all I got for the day.  Feel free to weigh in!
 

 


7 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

It's so sad to hear all the news about the shooting yesterday...too many mass shootings during the past year. Something needs to be done about gun control in my opinion. And the Miss America controversy made me SO mad. We really show our small-mindnedness sometimes don't we?

Megan said...

I completely agree with you on feeling like we are being desensitized. When I heard what I happened I felt awful for those that lost their lives and the families that lost loved ones, but at the same time it didn't really come as a surprise to me. And that bothers me too!

And yes, my beautiful state definitely needs the prayers. We just can't catch a break this summer. We are either on fire or we are flooding.

Bekah Walsh said...

Yeah...the Navy yard situation is awful. One of the victims lived in my hometown. :/

And the Miss America thing gets my blood boiling. I'm pretty sure she wasn't the only Indian contestant...so you can participate, but not win? Plus if you saw the complaints, ignorant people were calling her a terrorist too. Hello, wrong country! And surprise, NOBODY is really American except the native Americans so get over yourself.

ok...end rant.

a_mo said...

Somedays it seems like it's nothing but bad news. It makes it hard to stay engaged sometimes.


And about Mad Men-- we got rid of our cable last year so I didn't get to see the last season of Mad Men live and mostly managed to avoid spoilers, but I haven't been able to watch it since it's not on Netflix yet. I was planning on bingewatching it over the summer, and it wasn't on Netflix yet. It's the only show I really miss, you're right that pretty much everything else can be caught on Netflix or Hulu or online.

Megan said...

The shooting is so sad, but I totally agree with you about feeling desensitized. That's really sad too. These sorts of things should not become common to us.

The whole Miss America thing makes me very angry as well. I actually wrote a whole post about it that's up today (great minds think alike).

Sam said...

It's so sad how common these shootings are becoming. And I hate when people have debates about gun control because there is and never will be a right answer to it.

Lindsey said...

I could copy and paste this entire blog (except the mad men piece). Desensitized. Ignorant Americans. Miss America being out dated. All of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...