Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

We Got a Roku!

Happy Monday, friends!  Hope everyone had a pretty great weekend.  Something exciting happened for the Hinkley TV this weekend.  We got a Roku!  See ya, Comcast!  Well, the cable, not the internet of course.  So far, I am delighted with the new TV watching options.



I was not super eager to get rid of the regular cable TV.  Mainly because I love having the DVR so I can record overlapping shows, or on the off chance I am out gallivanting around town, it is there waiting for me to watch when I get home.  It had become just a comfortable thing that I didn't want to change. 

I also love cable because of all the options.  When I am at home, I am pretty much in veg mode.  I worked all day, sat in traffic insanity for a while.  I just want to zone out.  Cable provides hundred of channels at my disposal, so I can always find something interesting. 

But yeah, I am sick of the bill, and sick of the time suck that is Cable TV.  So we are going to try out the Roku.  I am sure the $$ saving will make be a believer.  I am also thinking/hoping that TV watching will become much more intentional.  Because as of now, I will totally watch a 4 hour Hoarders marathon just because it is on.  Why not spend 4 hours studying for my CPA exam, or reading a book, or even getting out of the house and living life (gasp!). 

I am a teeny bit sad that there doesn't seem to be a direct way to watch HGTV and Food Network, which are admittedly my biggest TV time sucks.  This is probably a blessing in disguise, so I wont complain too loudly yet. 

I am excited for the new TV adventure though, and regaining some of my life back. 

Any tips/tricks/etc welcomed! :)

10 comments:

Claire said...

Let me know what you think of the Roku... I'll be staying tuned to find out! I recently purchased one but ended up sending it back and opting for a blu ray player with wifi instead. The Roku didn't have many options that didn't require a subscription... so I knew I would use it mainly for netflix and pandora--which I could get with a blu ray. But I do know several people who have Roku's and love them so I'd love to hear your opinion once you play with it a littlE!

Megan said...

I've been hearing about these lately. We have a blu ray player with wifi and it has options to play Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Videos, and other similar things. So, I think it's basically the same thing??? I talked to Lee about getting rid of cable and I think we might do it. Do you have Netflix, Hulu Plus or something else? We already have an Amazon Prime membership but there's not too much you can watch on there for free that's worth it.

By the way, I see my OFA button. Thanks for your support!

Chelsee W said...

I actually have not heard of this! Seems pretty interesting though!

Kate @ Another Clean Slate said...

New follower :) What is the Roku? I hadn't heard of it before but I am all for anything that doesn't break the bank like Comcast!

HickChickBritt said...

We have a the Roku since the beginning of the year. I really liked it at first but now I seem to be running out of things to watch. I don't know of a way to watch current TV shows. Do you know how? Everything is at least a year old. We hve the Netflix and Hulu Plus subscriptions. I even tried the Redbox instant, but it doesn't seem to have any better options. Hopefully you find a way to watch newer stuff, because I want to know how! haha

Cece said...

TV really is such a ridiculous time suck. I've never heard of this. I hope it works well for you.

Michael said...

I was SO beyond fed up with Time Warner I considered going that route. Then I got a message from an angel that Fios was finally on my block. I switched 3 days later.

Laura said...

I'll be curious to hear what you think about the roku. I think it sounds like a fabulous idea - both financially and lifestyle wise. Good decision!

Lindsey said...

When we moved I was ready to get rid of all TV except the most basic so I can watch my sports :) Then we were like...what about all the awesome FX shows (i.e.,Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, etc.) what about whatever else we could think of.....so we kept cable but agreed to cut back and keep the TV off on most evenings. We actually TALK over dinner now. Gasp.

I will say with bed rest, I'm so grateful we didn't get rid of it.

Bekah @ re•solve said...

I've been thinking about this ever since you posted .... can you watch shows live at all or no?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...